Tuesday, January 22, 2013

What are some fun math games to play with fifth graders?

Q. For a project my algebra II class is going to the local elementary school to play with fifth graders. We need five math games or crafts that we can make in a few days on a low budget. They should be creative and entertaining, each lasting about ten minutes.

A. BOARD RACES !! kids love getting up on the board with markers and chalk and racing each other. if u have a big group do it once or twice. if it's a small group make it like a basketball tournament with winners and levels !!

If you need any other suggestions e-mail me at emily_nicole62@yahoo.com I have been a teacher
at an elementary for
4 years !!

Does anyone know of any good vocabulary or math games for homeschoolers?
Q. 7th grade level. All the ones I find are for younger kids. I'm particularly interested in any ideas of games I could make at home, or board games or software that I can buy, I don't want online games. Thanks!

A. I used to have a great computer programme called "I Love Maths"" and "I Love English!". They were made by Dorling Kindersley. They had lots of different activities related to maths and english questions and puzzles to do with calculations. You had to unlock different levels etc and visit different areas.

I'm not sure what age they were for but i remember questions on fractions and decimals etc so i think thats probably about the right age?

He's a link to the amazon page.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dorling-Kindersley-I-Love-Maths/dp/B00004UAFR

P.S i'm english so i don't know if their available in the US (where i am assuming you are from) but they may have a different version although i'm sure the english version is just as good.

What are some good math games I can make for a geometry lesson?
Q. I'm trying to make a math game for geometry and it is intended for elementary students. Nothing complicated. Something simple using materials that I can find at home and that doesn't require shopping.

A. If you can find a copy of John Horton Conway's book "On Numbers and Games", it's full of great possibilities. Note that it's a serious mathematics book, with proofs and all. Nonetheless, the games are simple to understand.

Two of my favourites are Sprouts and Cutcake. See the first two links.

A non-Conway game is Dots and Boxes. See the third link.

What are some smart websites with word and math games for kindergarten-aged boys?
Q. My 5 year old brother would really enjoy and benefit from an age-appropriate website that requires only a little reading.

A. For math games you could go to http://coolmath4kids.com/




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment